Friday, June 15, 2012

Good Hair?

I was prompted to write this post when I came across an interesting post this morning. The jist of the post was someone being told they had 'good hair' and then being asked if they were mixed.To be honest, I become a little offended that black women aren't expected to have soft, wavy/straight hair without being mixed with something! Why can't we just have 'good hair' no matter the texture? Some people who believe in that whole 'good hair/bad hair' are sometimes discouraged from embracing their natural hair because of how women, scratch that, how SOCIETY,  looks at hair as being 'good' or 'bad'. I use to work in a salon and it was not out of the norm for me to hear women say they don't want to go natural because they don't have 'good hair' or that there hair is too 'nappy'. It's like nails on a chalkboard when I hear women say things like this and how the 'creamy crack' (relaxer) really have some black women, as well as the rest of society, believing that embracing their own natural hair is taboo. Speaking from experience, I come from a family of people who have that soft, curly hair...you know, the kind that is stereotyped as that 'good hair'. I say this to say no one should be told they have 'good hair', like there is a such thing as 'bad hair'. I believe that as long as your hair is HEALTHY it doesn't matter how straight, curly, kinky, 'nappy', your hair is. At the end of the day, EVERYONE has beautiful hair. ---Peace, Love and Locs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment